20260716

Any Color You Like

 




STARLOG: You’re known for your startling use of black and white photography. It’s hard to imagine Eraserhead and The Elephant Man in color. Yet, here you are in Mexico, directing a $50 million science- fiction movie in color. Do you see this as a black and white film?

DAVID LYNCH: I would have loved to have made Dune in black and white, but it really is color film. I don’t feel bad about it. I would have loved to have seen some parts of Dune in black and white. Who knows? Maybe in some places, it may slip towards black and white; I might want to desaturate the color. Black and white takes you kind of far away. Some things are said better in it, some feelings come across better.

STARLOG: Your cameraman, Freddie Francis, says you think in black and white.

LYNCH: Freddie says I do? I have to think of something to say about him.


1 comment:

  1. My latest blog post relates to the subject of colors, black&white, and gender:

    https://cluelessmagic.wordpress.com/2026/08/02/of-pronouns-and-queens/

    But if you're looking for something specifically about Dune, I wrote about it when the Dune 2 movie came out:

    https://cluelessmagic.wordpress.com/2024/03/10/dune-foundation-the-red-sea-and-green-paradise/

    ReplyDelete